Global operations rely heavily on Pentagon’s Insight system that has been developed inhouse by to provide the following functions:
- Warehouse stock management system.
- B2B integration platform that supports connectivity to our key customers ERP systems.
- Web Portal developed to share purchase order and shipment information with our customers.
The role joins a small global team. While Aberdeen is a hub for the business, the global team provides support, sometimes out of hours, for other global sites.
- Answering all incoming calls
- Provide technical development expertise to enhance and support Insight.
- Provide technical development expertise to enhance and support Insight’s customer integrations.
- Provide SQL support for Insight and CW1 reporting.
- Provide other IT functions as directed by the Insight Support Manger.
- Develop new database, server, and front-end code to enhance Insight as described in specifications.
- Maintain the existing Insight codebase as directed including bug fixes.
- Troubleshoot customer and user application issues.
- Understand the business processes supported by Insight and understand how and when users interact with Insight in the context of their roles.
- Understand the database table structure of Insight.
- Understand the technical architecture of Insight and its core components.
- Understand the existing Insight customer Insight / EDI integrations and maintain existing interfaces.
- Periodically review the Insight logs to identify and fix recurring issues.
- Alert Insight Product Manager to any environment deficiencies such as inadequate backups, deprecation of Azure components, etc.
- Assist the business with software-based initiatives from customers. This may involve use of C#, SQL, IIS, Excel automation (VBA).
- Maintain technical documentation and guides.
- Understand the tools employed to maintain and develop Insight, and use them in accordance with PFS established standards, e.g. GIT, DevOps, Visual Studio, etc.
- Suggest improvements to the tools employed to maintain and develop Insight.
- Suggest improvements to the codebase for inclusion in the roadmap.
- Be knowledgeable and confident with web service instruments such as XML, WSDL’s, etc.
- Update and deploy Insight BizTalk maps.
- Perform thorough Senior Developer testing prior to UAT releases.
- Assist the Insight Product Manager with user acceptance testing (UAT) of new Insight features and bug fixes.
Training and Deployment
- Assist the Insight Product Manager with Insight release notes.
- Technically mentor developer(s).
- Assist the Insight Product Manager with technical tender responses that pertain to the Insight system.
General & Support / Tickets
- Assist the global helpdesk to respond to, and close, global applications tickets including but not restricted to the Insight and CW1 systems.
- Support the analysts who liaise with clients to specify, implement, and test new developments.
- Work under pressure to resolve any important time-critical system issues that may arise.
- Take ownership of user problems and be proactive when dealing with user issues.
- Escalate items that require higher level approval, e.g. certain security changes, certain cross-country reporting (guidance will be given).
- Ad-hoc duties as directed by the Insight Product Manager.
What we’re looking for
- Minimum 5-years’ experience in a development role.
- Excellent working knowledge of IT technologies, including:
- SQL Server
- Experience in Azure, GIT, DevOps and Visual Studio
- Understanding of web service integrations including XML / XSL
- Understanding of SQL database structure and functions
- Windows Server / IIS
- Internet Security
- Positive, flexible, and professional attitude
- High attention to detail and good time management skills.
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written.
- Ability to work autonomously and within a team.